Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Campaign Challenge - The Door


First Campaign Challenge -- Write a short story/flash fiction story in 200 words or less. Begin the story with the words: “The door swung open”. For added challenge end with the words: "the door swung shut" and make your story exactly 200 words.

I took on the added challenges!  My response is below.

.....................................................................................................

The Door
By Dawn M. Hamsher

The door swung open. I took a deep breath and stepped inside. I stood on the red carpet. I was still alive. Did I really think I’d be struck by lightning?
 
My heart was pounding as I walked down the hall. My hands clenched and unclenched. I licked my lips over and over.

What was I thinking? Why had I come?
 
I wanted to turn and run, but then I saw it. There on the altar was the cross. 

I think someone spoke to me, but I kept going. 

By the time I got to the railing and knelt, I was shaking all over. I broke down. I can’t remember what I said or did. I just remember feeling so empty, like I had dumped 20 years of my life.

Then an arm wrapped around me and a woman said, “He does forgive you and he wants you back.”

It’s hard to explain what happened next. A warmth filled me and I felt what the woman was saying deep inside my soul. All the bad stuff I had done no longer chained me down. 

When I left, I was changed. My old life was gone as the door swung shut.