Monday, August 5, 2013

Book Review: The Jesus of the Bible



The Jesus of the Bible by Stephen M. Miller
An illustrated Guide to His Life – World – Teachings

I’ve been working my way through this book for four months. It's taken me a while, but there's a lot of information in this book!

Dawn’s Recommendation: 4 of 5 Stars

What I Liked:  

1. The book stayed true to the Bible and teachings of Jesus!

2. There is so much information to be gleaned from this book! The variety keeps the reader's attention. From illustrations and photographs to facts and information from historical documents like the Dead Sea Scrolls, this book is packed!

What I Didn’t Like: (Note: I liked this book, but there were a few things I’d like to comment on and these are the reason I took one star away  from my rating.)

1. I didn’t like painting of Jesus used on the front cover. It’s dark and does not reflect the Jesus I know and love!

2. There was almost too much stuff to digest and it was sometimes overwhelming to think of getting through the whole book. What contributed to this problem was:

Layout – Pages often have extra boxes of information that interrupt the flow of reading. My brain had to constantly adjust.

No Chapter Breaks – I’d prefer to see some sort of breaks. I need white pages here and there so I can breathe and feel like I’ve accomplished something. This book has none. Each small section runs into the next.

3. Sometimes too many differing thoughts on a subject from multiple sources and scholars. I liked most of this, but occasionally it pulled me away from the main Biblical point.

All in all, I enjoyed the book. I learned so much!  It is well worth the read and if you take the book a little at a time, like I did (to compliment Bible reading), I think you’ll like it very much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.