Monday, August 26, 2013

Book Review: Warpaint



I’ve been waiting all summer to read “Warpaint” by Holly Lisle, knowing it would be good. I wasn’t wrong! This is the sequel to “Hunting the Corrigan’s Blood”, a sci-fi action book that kept me on the edge of my seat. I couldn’t put the book down (I think I stayed up all night to read it). Ok…on to the review of Warpaint.



Dawn’s Recommendation: 5 of 5 Stars



What I liked: While Warpaint wasn’t as graphic blood/guts-wise or as heart-pounding as “Hunting the Corrigan’s Blood”, it definitely delivers on sci-fi adventure. I love the impossible situations Holly Lisle puts her characters in. She’s got guts as a writer and that shines through in this series! The MC, Cady Drake, a freelance detective-of-sorts (she hunts for lost items) also has a lots of guts as she takes on the bad guys. I was very excited to see the new cast of characters that assisted her in her quest to rid space from Legends (aka vampires*). The places in the book are rich with details and you get a good feel for the unique space stations/worlds.



I liked the “Emergency Cookie” reference throughout the book – that added a smile to the story. I also really liked the ending with the character Herog and its future book possibilities (Man, it is hard to write a review without spoilers!). 

Can’t wait for the next Cadence Drake book! In the meantime, there are a lot more Holly Lisle books for me to read. ;0) She is fast becoming a favorite.



*I don’t usually read vampire books because most romanticize the dark and evil, but this series doesn’t. Here, Cady fights vampires to save humanity.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dawn! Thanks for posting your thought about this book...I admit...I've never heard of it before. I'll definitely have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter doesn't go for vampire books either. But, my sister does and this sounds right up her alley. I had never heard of it before either. I will have to find it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.