Monday, September 16, 2013

Book Review: The Ruby Key

I was eager to read this 1.) because I've read two of Holly Lisle's books and 2.) because I love MG fiction. BLUF: The book was okay, but not as good as I had hoped it would be.

Dawn's Recommendation: 3 of 5 stars

What I liked: I liked the MC Genna (human) and the world where they live in the day and Nightlings (elf-like creatures) rule the night. The interaction with the Nightling Kai-lord (aka bad king) and their deal was pretty cool, as was the quest Genna went on. Even the idea of the moonroads was cool, but...

What I didn't like: It was confusing. I was following along pretty good until Genna got to the moonroads and then I found myself skimming more and more. The obstacles put in front of Genna seemed like the author was just sticking them in (and I was just skipping them over).

I liked the themes of loyalty, love, and sacrifice. I liked the old woman fortune teller. I liked the talking cat. I even liked the ending, but, after saying all this, I didn't like it enough to want to read the second book in the series.

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate your honesty in these reviews, Dawn. I know that reviewing a book isn't easy to do.
    Blessings!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.