Thursday, January 30, 2014

Book Review: The Forgotten Garden

The Fogotten Garden weaves a wonderful spell on readers!

Overview:
"A tiny girl is abandoned on a ship headed for Australia in 1913. She arrives completely alone with nothing but a small suitcase containing a few clothes and a single book -- a beautiful volume of fairy tales. She is taken in by the dockmaster and his wife and raised as their own. On her twenty-first birthday they tell her the truth, and with her sense of self shattered and with very little to go on, "Nell" sets out on a journey to England to try to trace her story, to fi nd her real identity. Her quest leads her to Blackhurst Manor on the Cornish coast and the secrets of the doomed Mountrachet family. But it is not until her granddaughter, Cassandra, takes up the search after Nell's death that all the pieces of the puzzle are assembled. At Cliff Cottage, on the grounds of Blackhurst Manor, Cassandra discovers the forgotten garden of the book's title and is able to unlock the secrets of the beautiful book of fairy tales." (Amazon)

Dawn's Recommendation: 4 of 5

What I liked:
*the intricate story that spanned over 100 years of a family 
*the unraveling of the family mystery by the grand-daughter, Cassandra
*the interest it piqued -- why was a four year old abandoned on a ship to Australia?
*the fairy tales 
*the story of Mountrachet family (good and evil)
*seeing how lives are affected generations down the road (I know its fiction, but its neat to see and think about) 

*it was a magical read (down to earth, but dreamy and romantic too)

It was a long book, but a good story and well-told. Very satisfying. I will look for more of Ms. Morton's books to read!

What I didn't like: the multiple time periods. It took me half the book to get used to the constant switching back and forth. Not really the author's fault (every chapter is clearly labeled) -- I guess it was just hard for me to get used to. If this is the author's usual style, then I'll be ready for it when I read her next book. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.