Saturday, January 25, 2014

Frozen Pipes

Pipes froze in the back porch that we call the "Out Kitchen".
Silly name really -- Out Kitchen.
It is out the door of the kitchen, so I guess it makes sense, but I doubt anyone else in the world calls it that,
except for my mother. I stole the name from her tiny vestibule.

Back to the pipes.
It was no little break. Pipe split in four places and in two elbows for a total of 6 breaks!
Might as well break spectacularly, right?!

But here's the best part:
We were sleeping soundly when all of a sudden at midnight, my husband bolts upright.
"Something is wrong! I hear something."
Sure enough, we could hear water running.
Hubby ran downstairs to find water-logged carpet.

So, who woke him? How did he know?

A book I just read says God has a hand in all things and there is no such thing as coincidences.
I think this is one of those examples.
If he hadn't found the pipes till 6am, the mess would have been horrific, not to mention dangerous (with the electric heater out there).

Thank you God -- however you had a hand in alerting him. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. That was a good save! Sorry for the mess, but as you say it could have been way worse. This is becoming a costly winter, :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Li, You are right! Not looking forward to the next boro bill! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear of your mess. Glad Toby had heaven sent wake up call. Isn't this round two? BTW, I think the "out kitchen" comes from the days of cooking out on the porch in the summer so you didn't have the heat in the house, especially when canning since most did that 60 years ago. ... . Some call it the summer kitchen. Air conditioning has eliminated that issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, Me too! And yes, this is round two (and the last!).

      I had forgotten about summer kitchens. So glad for today.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That was really something! I'm just glad that your husband quickly found the root of the issue. It would've been troublesome if something worse had happened. In any case, I really hope you've gotten the pipes fixed, Dawn. Here's to straying away from problematic plumbing! Cheers! :)

    Roxanne Vaughn @ Total PLBG

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.