Thursday, March 5, 2015

Small Seed Devotion: Steady



Slow and Steady is Best.

Steady plodding brings prosperity; hasty speculation brings poverty.
Proverbs 21:5 (TLB)

Driving home early from work today (due to snow), I took it slow and steady. Most of the back roads had not been treated and I didn’t want to slide off the road. Last Sunday, as I drove home in the snow from a youth retreat, we passed all sorts of emergency vehicles and then saw an overturned car in the ditch. Was that car's driver driving too fast for conditions? Maybe.

Driving in the snow makes me think of how fast-paced we all are. Rush to work. Rush home. Rush, rush, rush. But, if we slow down…and take it easy, think things through, adjust to our circumstances – how much better we’d be off. Proverbs reminds us that God wants us slow and steady, pressing on, not rushing ahead or hastily making decisions, but that advice is contrary to the world’s “Be the first, get rich quick, one day sale” philosophy.

This afternoon's snow (my backyard).

Do you have an example from your life of “steady plodding” or “hasty speculation”?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.