Monday, August 20, 2012

Summer Book Review - In the Sanctuary of Outcasts

This spring, I loaded up on books to read for the summer (you might remember my Book Sale post). Well, I am happy to say, I've read them all, but one AND I read two others not on my list. As a writer, I wanted to learn what I could from the author on story, content, delivery, etc.

Book:In the Sanctuary of Outcasts
Author: Neil White
What I learned: 
1. Memoirs can be extremely witty and enjoyable! I have to admit that this is the only memoir that I've ever read. I never wanted to read one before, assuming that they would be dull and boring. This book was funny. The author learned a valuable lesson that changed his life. This book changed my mind about memoirs.

2. Look for real-life people for inspiration for characters. The author learned to love one of the leper patients: an elderly black lady in a wheelchair. It is everyday people that can make lasting impressions.

What I liked: The author's humor and his honesty at sharing how arrogant he was at the beginning and how he changed and learned what life was really about.

What I didn't like: That the story ended. I wanted to stay in the prison/leper colony in a place where time seemed to stand still, where I didn't feel rushed. I wanted to stay in the breezeway.

Recommend? YES!

6 comments:

  1. I have never read a memoir, mostly for the same reasons you stated, but this one does sound really interesting. I'll have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha, Good to hear from you! I did enjoy this memoir! I think you will too.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great read! So little is ever written about the leper colonies around the world.

    p.s. it is good to check in on you. I don't think I ever fully recovered from April A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I miss you! I feel the same way. I've been so out of it (blogging-wise, writing-wise). I'm looking forward to the routine that comes with back to school and my writing group starting back up!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a great read! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.