Saturday, August 18, 2012

Summer Book Review - Pay It Forward

This spring, I loaded up on books to read for the summer (you might remember my Book Sale post). Well, I am happy to say, I've read them all, but one AND I read two others not on my list. As a writer, I wanted to learn what I could from the authors on story, content, delivery, etc.

Book: Pay It Forward
Author: Catherine Ryan Hyde

What I learned: 
A strong theme and moral lesson can work in a book. This book is a call for action to make our world better, but it doesn't hit you other the head with it. Instead, the author uses a humble character with a small idea to show how big change can happen.  

The theme of Paying It Forward is profound. As a Christian, the whole time I was reading it, I was thinking about how Christ wants us to help others. The day after I finished the book, I left a waitress a $60 tip. That's how good this book was!

What I liked: I loved the down-to-earth characters, their messed-up lives, and how they interacted with each other and formed relationships.

What I didn't like: The ending, but I was forewarned.

Recommend? YES!

2 comments:

  1. You didn't like the ending, but you still recommend it? Now I have to read this.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, Yep! Can't tell you more. I don't want to spoil the ending for you. Great book!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.