Saturday, January 12, 2013

Lights in Winter

Photo by Dawn M. Hamsher, 2013
This house in our neighborhood is decorated year round with brightly colored lights and spheres. At Christmas, the roof features Santa's sleigh pulled by a team of flamingos. The lights and decorations are whimsical and fun and I grin every time I see them, especially during the winter.

Winter drags many people down. It's easy to let the cold and dark and bleak landscape rub off on our outlook, but we don't have to let it. 

The lights of this house remind me that there is beauty and joy even in the dark, we just need to be open to seeing it.
 

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, 
on them has light shone. 
Isaiah 9:2

4 comments:

  1. I have to admit I struggle with anxiety at this time of year. Getting out in the sunshine, seeing pretty lights like your neighbor's, and spending time with family and friends really helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, Every time I drove by that house at night, I wanted to take a photo and write about the joy it brought me. I finally did it. :0)

      Delete
  2. I just saw your link on Elaine Ingalls Hogg's posting at InScribe. Glad I stopped by. Enjoyed my wee visit.

    Today I'm wishing you glimpses of heaven in unexpected places... I see that you do know how to spot them...even in the dark!

    Blessings...
    Brenda



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda! It's so nice of you to stop by! I like your blog -- how refreshing to always be on the lookout for God's blessings.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.