Friday, March 4, 2011

What Could I Do?

Writing Exercise: Search on-line for a magazine that accepts submissions. Write and edit an article to submit.


What Could I Do? [submitted to Pockets, a Christian Child's Devotional, Upper Room] 
by Dawn M. Hamsher

Everybody was talking about it. A really powerful earthquake hit Haiti on January 12, 2010. The news said 316,000 people died and 300,000 more were injured. 

Even though I’d never been to Haiti, I, Gillian, felt I had to do something for all those people who were hurt and had lost their homes. But I’m only ten years old, so what could I do?

I decided to ask my mom for ideas on ways to help, but most of the time she frowned and tried to change the subject. Once though, she did tell me a news story about a boy in England who did a bicycle race, which raised thousands of dollars for Haiti. 

Hmmm…good idea. 

“Could I do a bike race?” I asked her.

“No,” Mom said. “Riding on the streets with traffic would be dangerous.” 

Sigh.

“What about a scooter race instead?”

“No, Gillian,” Mom said. “Not everyone has a scooter and it could also be dangerous.”  
Shot down twice.

So, I started thinking safety.  What would be safe from cars and could be done on sidewalks? Walking. That’s it! I could get lots of people to walk through town and we could earn lots of money to give to Haiti! This one was going to work, I just knew it.

“What about a walk?” I asked Mom.

“I don’t know. A big walk through town would require police to help people cross at intersections and someone could still get hurt.”

“How do you get hurt walking?” I asked.

She didn’t really answer me, but started talking about a big word: “liability”.  I don’t know what that is, but I know that Mom is afraid of it.

Rats. Do you see where this is going?

I was beginning to think that my mom wasn’t going to give in. I knew though that we were supposed to help people in trouble. It says so in the Bible:

Luke 3:10-11 (NLT) The crowds asked, “What should we do?” John replied, “If you have two shirts, give one to the poor. If you have food, share it with those who are hungry.”

So, I wasn’t going to give up. Here’s what I did.

     I told my mom that Jesus would want us to help Haiti. Then, I begged her every day until she gave in. Once mom was onboard, things got moving.  
  • We planned. We did decide to do a walk, but instead of walking through town, we picked a local park that was closed to traffic.
  • We researched charities and found the one we wanted the money to go to.
  • We asked for help. I got my best friend, Megan, my Girl Scout troop, and my church to help (and God even helped by giving us a warm day for the walk). We made posters, baked cookies, and collected money.
  • We did it! On Mar. 17, 2010, we walked for Haiti. By getting sponsors, selling baked goods, and setting up a donation table at church, we raised over $2,000!
Mom says she’s proud of me for not giving up. She says I helped her faith grow by seeing us kids make such a big difference. I think she’s right. Kids can do awesome stuff, buy they might have to do a little begging and not give up!

So, now that I figured out what I could do, I ask you, “What can you do?”


Girls pose beside poster they made and the bake sale table

Stretching before Walk for Haiti

1 comment:

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.