Saturday, November 8, 2014

Writing Encouragement = Card Ministry!

"i Care" Card Table with basket of free cards
In this techno world of quick e-mails, texts, and instant messaging, we've lost the sweetness of opening a real paper card and reading someone's handwritten words. I want to go back. I want to curl up, with my hot tea, and I want to write notes of encouragement. I want to love on people in this way, so I started a card ministry at my church called "i Care" Cards.
 


How it works: You pick a free card, write words of encouragement (share God's love), and mail it to your person. 
My own personal goal is to write one card per week (so far so good)!
 

Here are the God-lessons that prompted me to start it:
*Little things mean a lot to God (and to others)
*Show love in practical, tangible ways
*Step out in faith

This Scripture speaks to me about how little things, like card writing, can have a big impact for the Kingdom:
Jesus told them another parable: “The Kingdom of heaven is like this. A man takes a mustard seed and sows it in his field. It is the smallest of all seeds, but when it grows up, it is the biggest of all plants. It becomes a tree, so that birds come and make their nests in its branches.” Matthew 13:31-32


If you like writing or you are an encourager, maybe card writing is up your alley. Maybe you'd like to start a card ministry at your church or workplace? It's easy and fun. I'll share how I did it in future posts.

Upcoming Posts:
*Where do the cards come from?
*What do I put in the cards?
*Doodle Cards - Make your Own!

*Card Giving as a Ministry Outreach

Do you still write cards/letters by snail mail? Do enjoy getting them yourself?

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I do write notes of encouragement as a ministry in my church and just on my own, as well, to people that God lays on my heart. I surely find as much joy in the writing and sending as they get in the receiving. And an added bonus - sometimes they write back!!! Thank you for your post and I will look to your blog again for guidance and encouragement as I try to stay on track!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, A kindred spirit! Do you have a goal for yourself? I find that if I don't set a goal, I don't get the cards written or sent. Thanks so much for commenting. Have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to this series, Dawn. Such a lost art. Just started doing something similar on a personal level. Thanks for sharing your idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. It is a lost art. At Girl Scouts, the leader found out that most of the girls didn't even know how to address a letter and they don't write with cursive anymore (not taught in schools). How sad.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! Looking forward to future posts on how you do this for your church. I just spend a day with girlfriends making cards, so this post is timely for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that would be fun...making cards with the girlfriends! I have a lot of fun with the girls in our youth group - we color the cards that I make during our Doodling elective. I'll post about that in a week or two. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.