Friday, January 20, 2012

Psalm 119


My writer's group, 1st Writes, is studying Psalm 119. We went over the first 8 verses. Read them now, then answer the question below.




Psalm 119:1-8 NLT
Aleph
 1 Joyful are people of integrity,
      who follow the instructions of the LORD.
 2 Joyful are those who obey his laws
      and search for him with all their hearts.
 3 They do not compromise with evil,
      and they walk only in his paths.
 4 You have charged us
      to keep your commandments carefully.
 5 Oh, that my actions would consistently
      reflect your decrees!
 6 Then I will not be ashamed
      when I compare my life with your commands.
 7 As I learn your righteous regulations,
      I will thank you by living as I should!
 8 I will obey your decrees.
      Please don’t give up on me!

Q: What can we learn from these verses that can impact our writing?

Please share in Comments Section. My take is below.

Wow. When Pam Williams asked the group this, I wondered how she was going to tie it to writing. Then we started searching. Words like "integrity" and "righteous" jumped out at me. My writing can reflect Christ by upholding his truths. 

Then the phrase "search for him with all their hearts" hit me. As I seek Christ, I can also include him in my writing (by praying and asking for his blessing). He longs to be a part of my writing (and yours). If only we'd ask him to. 

How about you? What do the verses say to you?

4 comments:

  1. I always pray that my writing and my story would uphold and promote God's truths. I think it's one of the best prayers for a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick,
    I totally agree with you. Even when writing fiction, we can plants seeds of truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn Hi. I must tell you that when I'm not walking in the paths that God requires me to walk in my writing takes a dive, as does my spirit. My writing reflects the love God has for me whether I'm trying to show it or not, it just comes out. There are so many scriptures where the Lord says; "I'll put my words in your mouth," or in this case fingers. Jesus says; " everything shall be revealed, whether good or bad."
    I don't know where I read it but someone wrote; " Don't measure yourself by the standard of others but by the way others measure themselves by your standards." Very good advice.
    I love the Lord and walking in His ways. And it shows in my writing, well I think it does anyway.
    Blessings my friend, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geoff,
    Yes, I can tell that you glorify God in your writing! It is very refreshing to read your blog and see how God is a part of all you do (and your conversations with God). It is a good reminder to me to talk with him more....in all little things.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.