Thursday, January 5, 2012

How Do You Revise?

I'm working on revising my manuscript. I wrote the book in 1.5 years and then it sat for another 6 months. I bought books on revising. I looked at tips for revising. Nothing gave me good step-by-step directions, so I am taking a course (How to Revise Your Novel from Holly Lisle) and I think it will be just what I need! I'm so excited!

How about you? How do you revise?  


And, I'm talking BIG revision (looking at the big story, holes in plot, poorly developed characters, etc.), not the final grammar/punctuation stuff.

Happy writing and revising!

4 comments:

  1. So far.... I don't have a good answer lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I KNOW!!! That's how I felt! I finally admitted defeat and sought guidance from a professional. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get comments from other people. I read them through. I think about them for a few weeks. Instead of addressing each comment individually, I look at the novel as a whole, and try to figure out how I might change the overall story/character arcs in order to fix multiple problems at once. Two birds with one stone, so to speak. These huge changes are often what (for me) make the novel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate,
    Thanks for sharing that. It's good when you can see the big picture through all the comments and are able to fix problems!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.