Monday, January 30, 2012

Word for the Week

I've been studying the book of Proverbs in the Bible. Last night I was meditating on Proverb 8:34.

Source: yourstartingpoint.org

Blessed is the one who listens to me,
watching daily at my gates,
waiting beside my doors.



After reflecting on this passage, I began to pray. My mind began to flit and wander and I couldn't focus. I asked God for calm. Immediately, my mind centered on him. I told him that I wanted to be one who listens to him, who follows what he says. I asked him what he wanted to say to me and a blank white board came to mind. I waited. Then the word "courage" was written on the board . That's it. No further instructions.

So, that's my word for the week. Courage.

What am I to do with it? Am I going to need courage this week? I don't know yet, but I'm sure the Lord will reveal it to me. In the meantime, I'm going to study the word and think on it further.

Did God ever give you a word for the week? Or a task to do? Do you have trouble focusing and listening to God?

7 comments:

  1. Hey Dawn, it's been a while. I hope that you're doing well.

    When I pray, I often ask that my mind will be open to the promptings of the spirit. That I can do the things that lead me in the direction that Heavenly Father wants me to be in. I also pray that I can do better each day when it comes to praying and studying the scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, I am doing well. It has been awhile. Glad to hear from you. I appreciate you sharing about how you pray. It is encouraging to me.

      Delete
  2. That's really great. I hope that God tells you something about courage this week that you really need to hear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have courage and be strong--for the One who goes before you, will be strong in you today...I remember that from a song I loved. My brother was dying from a brain tumor, and that song rang through me continuously during that time.

    Whatever God has for you this week, He has given you the courage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krista, Thanks!

    Susan, Dealing with your brother's death...that would take a lot of courage (through God). Thank you for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.