Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A to Z: B is for Black and Book

For this year's A to Z Blogging Challenge I'm featuring books that I'd like to read!




B is for: The Black Count by Tom Reiss


The remarkable true story of the real Count of Monte Cristo...who inspired such classics as The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers. The real-life protagonist of The Black Count, General Alex Dumas, is a man almost unknown today yet with a story that is strikingly familiar, because his son, the novelist Alexandre Dumas, used it to create some of the best loved heroes of literature. Yet, hidden behind these swashbuckling adventures was an even more incredible secret: the real hero was the son of a black slave -- who rose higher in the white world than any man of his race would before our own time. It is also a heartbreaking story of the enduring bonds of love between a father and son. 

And...

B is for: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still. Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement. 


Do you like historical reads (fiction or non-fiction)?  If so, what's your most recent favorite? 
My favorite one is An Army of Angels: A Novel of Joan of Arc by Pamela Marcantel.

 

16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn .After reading your post ,I feel like reading The Book Thief . Thank you for sharing such beautiful books with us :)

      Delete
  2. That was quite a informative post relating to books. Well, I prefer fiction and am currently reading Shiv Triology 1 -The immortals of Meluha .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dropping by and commenting as you're in my A to Z list section.
    My most recent read was actually a trilogy by Jack Whyte: Knights of the Black & White, Standard of Honour and Order in Chaos. Love his adaptation of the Brotherhood of Sion, exceptionally well written and a brilliant read.
    Great post by the way. Good luck on your A to Z journey. :)
    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I'll have to look into that trilogy. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I like historical fiction, but can't think of any I've recently read. I did see 'The Book Thief' on DVD last week, though, and it was great! I hear that they did a great job of adapting the book to the screen, too. Have you seen the movie version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, no I haven't seen The Book Thief movie yet, but I've heard great things about it.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy historical romance. Two of my favorite authors are Deeanne Gist and Karen Witemeyer. I may get a copy of "The Black Count" though. Sounds like an interesting read. Thank you for sharing! ~~Emmly Jane, On The Porch Swing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emmly Jane, I have not read either of those. I'll look them up!

      Delete
  6. I didn't know that Count of Monte Cristo was based on a real life story or any book!

    And Book Thief is in my TBR now. Soon. Very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I didn't know that either until I found this book. Really looks interesting!

      Big Grin.

      Delete
  7. The Black Count sounds very interesting indeed.

    Stopping by from the #atozchallenge !
    @JLenniDorner

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tend to read more literary and contemporary stuff, but a recent favorite historical was Code Name Verity, about heroic British women who worked as pilots and spies during WW2. Truly riveting story.

    Glad to meet you through the A-Z!
    Laurel
    Laurel's Leaves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, thanks for sharing that...just looked it up AND I am going to share it when I get to the letter "V"! Thank you! Looks really good.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.