Saturday, April 26, 2014

A to Z: W is for War

For this year's A to Z Blogging Challenge I'm featuring books that I'd like to read!
 
W is for War: The War Within These Walls by Aline Sax


It's World War II, and Misha's family, like the rest of the Jews living in Warsaw, has been moved by the Nazis into a single crowded ghetto. Conditions are appalling: every day more people die from disease, starvation, and deportations. Misha does his best to help his family survive, even crawling through the sewers to smuggle food. When conditions worsen, Misha joins a handful of other Jews who decide to make a final, desperate stand against the Nazis.

Heavily illustrated with sober blue-and-white drawings, this powerful novel dramatically captures the brutal reality of a tragic historical event.


Ever been to the Holocaust Museum or speak to a survivor?

3 comments:

  1. don't know if this took, but i'll try again

    i like your book recommendations, you have a good variety of genres.
    great job with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family are refugees from Germany in WWII. I went to the holocaust museum in Berlin when I lived there a few years back and it had a profound effect on me. Far bigger than I'd anticipated. And since then, whenever I read books set during WWII, they speak to me in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, thank you! I appreciate you stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.