Monday, April 7, 2014

A to Z: F is for Fallout

For this year's A to Z Blogging Challenge I'm featuring books that I'd like to read!

F is for: Fallout by Todd Strasser


What if the bomb had actually been dropped? In the summer of 1962, the possibility of nuclear war is all anyone talks about, so Scott's dad builds a bomb shelter to hold his family and stocks it with just enough supplies to keep the four of them alive for two critical weeks. In the middle of the night in late October, when the unthinkable happens, the same neighbors who scoffed at building a shelter themselves force their way into the shelter before Scott's dad can shut the door.Internationally best-selling author Todd Strasser has written his most impressive and personal novel to date, exploring the terrifying what-ifs of one of the most explosive moments in human history.

This makes me think of the story of Noah, building the boat for a disaster no one thinks will happen. Have you ever planned for disaster (maybe not to this extent, but water and supplies in the basement, practiced escape route if fire, etc.)?

11 comments:

  1. Hello Dawn.
    Haven't prepared for disasters yet but am thinking about doing something for the not too distant future. Not so sure I will build a fallout shelter but a good supply of foodstuff and water wouldn't be such a bad idea, considering the way things seem to be going in the world today.
    Sounds like an interesting read.
    Blessings and love from Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geoff, Good to hear from you! Yeah, it is probably a good idea. I have some things on hand, but not nearly enough if there were a disaster.

      Delete
  2. Having lived through that time of uncertainty and expecting to die any day from the bomb, I think this is a book I might read. Thanks for putting it out there.
    http://undeniablecontent.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, it does sound interesting to me. I was not born at that time, but I see the leftover signs on bomb shelters around town (the old library, etc.) and I can only imagine the fear people felt during that time.

      Delete
  3. Interesting book. I hadn't heard of it but sounds like it could have some good conflict to read about. And I'll admit that I'm woefully unprepared for disasters. I should work on that some day.

    A to Z commenter
    Reading at Dawn blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, I'm not even sure how I found out about this book, but it does look interesting. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a contemporary 'Noah' story. Adding it to the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, you are going to have a list as long as me soon! LOL.

      Delete
    2. Could be longer already! 893 and counting on Good Reads. To be transparent, though, it does include picture books and cookbooks!

      Delete
    3. Susan, oh yeah, you've got me beat! LOL! Doesn't life get in the way of reading books?!

      Delete
    4. Absolutely, Dawn! "So many books, too little time!"

      Delete

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.