Monday, April 11, 2011

"J" is for Jokes

 
A to Z Blogging Challenge: "J" is for Jokes

 

Writing Exercise:
 

Read How to Write a Joke by Etch Tabor. Pick a topic. Write 10 things you hate about it and 10 things you find strange about it. Then write a joke in the Comments Section. 
(Only family-friendly jokes, please.) My response is below.


I picked the topic "Writing" and tried to write a joke about it. It is a sad, sad attempt and I WILL be keeping my day job! I never could tell a joke...rats! I hoped this exercise would help. Oh well, it was fun to try.

10 things I hate about writing:      10 things I find strange about writing:
Time-consuming                          all the rules
writer's block                               in school, grades for subjective work
not hearing back from editors        the tricks publishers do to market books
all the rules                                 publishers want you to promote
writing that wanders                     learning ins and outs of blogging
punctuation                                 wording things just right
rejection                                     being frustrated
re-work                                      with blogging, being so public
not having a pencil                        reading some of the things on the net
not having my computer                advertising and publicity

My joke sad, sad attempt:

I love to write, but I hate not hearing back from publishers.

You pour your heart into a piece. You revise it 50 times. You take the time to research publishers. You follow the guidelines. You submit before the due date. You hear nothing. You check your e-mail everyday. You hear nothing. Why can't they just respond? Any response would do:

"Thank you for your submission. It stunk. Don't EVER submit to us again.  Respectfully, Mean Editor"

"We didn't even bother to read your submission. But, feel free to try, try again. Respectfully
, Too Busy Editor"

"We got it. Can't use it. r/Ed."


JUST TELL ME SOMETHING, ANYTHING...I NEED CLOSURE!

        

9 comments:

  1. I loved the "r/Ed" and your publisher "responses."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your joke wasn't too bad. I'm not even going to attempt one, sorry!

    Meet my son John for my "J" post if you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is a tough, tough assignment. I cheated and simply went on the internet to find one that made me laugh (for my J post today). I don't think I can deliberately be funny; I have to let it sneak up on me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehe you're braver than me. I'm going to chicken out.

    But let me say this, the comments from the editors brought a smile to my face.

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. All, I agree. Jokes are hard! Stand-up comedy is not in my future, but had fun trying. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you know, Dick is the joke-teller in our family :)
    I echo your sentiments on submitting and the vast abyss of no response. Maybe some publishers will read and want to use your entertaining responses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could be as clever as you right now. Fun post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam, You wouldn't need to write your own jokes with Dick around! When I called you last night, I asked him if you were around and he said, "No, Pam's more tall and thin." Ugghhh!

    Septembermom, Glad you liked the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I laughed so it couldn't have been too bad! And to clarify I was laughing with you and not at you!

    I'm not going to attempt a joke, but I think it was a great choice for 'j'!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.