Monday, August 22, 2011

The Spark Blogfest - Post #1

For the opening day of Sparkfest, I'm going to answer the question on the Sparkfest button:

Who set you off?

Her name is Pam.

Two years ago I walked into a writer's group at my church and Pam was the leader. I really had no expectations. I wanted to try something different. I had no idea that it would change my life. 


Pam started with devotions and then did a writing exercise. Write about "a sound" for 17 minutes. I wrote furiously about the slap slap of double dutch ropes, one of my childhood memories. That set me off. 

At home, I began writing about more childhood memories and then about some painful adult memories. Not too long after, I began writing a book. Two years later, I have two published devotions, a blog, and I'm editing my book.

Pam is the one who set me off. Her writing ministry is the reason I am writing today. She is a kindred spirit and a calming, steady rock who is always there for us newbie writers. Her encouragement and support has helped me blossom. I cherish her as a mentor and a friend.

If you would like to get to know Pam, she is at 2 Encourage and 1st Writes.

So, who set you off?