Monday, December 29, 2014

Small Seed Devo for 12-29-14

Don't Smother The Holy Spirit.


"Do not smother the Holy Spirit." (TLB) or "Quench not the Spirit." (KJV) 1 Thessalonians 5:19 

Wow!  Don't we do this?! We try to put God in a box instead of expecting great (and different and unusual) things. The Holy Spirit can do anything. Let me repeat that. ANYTHING. Who are we to smother Him and what He can do. 

1 Thessalonians goes on to talk about those who prophesy and how we should not scoff. (Uh Oh, convicted.) It reminded me of a few months ago. I made a comment about people who speak in tongues. I've never experienced that and it just seems so bizarre. Then, my co-worker said that she sometimes prays in tongues. She said that one time, in church, it just happened and ever since then, she sometimes prays in tongues. I was ashamed of myself. I know speaking in tongues is in the Bible, so why am I so narrow-minded?!

So, who am I to smother the Holy Spirit? I should test it and if I find it holds with the Bible, then accept it. Good lesson.

Have you smothered the Holy Spirit? Care to share? I promise I won't scoff - I've learned my lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.