Monday, January 12, 2015

Small Seed for 1-12-15



 Correcting ungodly behavior?

Cling tightly to your faith in Christ and always keep your conscience clear, doing what you know is right. For some people have disobeyed their consciences and have deliberately done what they knew was wrong. It isn’t surprising that soon they lost their faith in Christ after defying God like that. Hymenaeus and Alexander are two examples of this. I had to give them over to Satan to punish them until they could learn not to bring shame to the name of Christ. 1 Timothy 1:19-20 (TLB)



I want to know more about Hymenaeus and Alexander. What did they do? Did Paul kick them out of the fold for a while? I think about Paul and how he must have stressed about that, having to reprimand them and eventually give them over to evil. One bad apple spoils the bunch, though, so maybe he needed to get them out.  Did they come back and repent?



This passage today speaks most to me about Paul’s willingness to correct ungodly behavior. I have a situation in my life right now where two Christians are not acting godly. I have been staying out of it, but it is wrong. I know I should say something. Do something. But, I haven’t so far. 

Father, give me wisdom, to go about it in the best way. Give me the words to speak to them. And, the courage, like Paul to do what is right in your sight. Amen.

Have you ever had to admonish someone? Or been admonished by someone else?
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm trolling through blogs today...which I haven't done in awhile. But I came across yours which I used to read often, so hi again! Anyway, I did have to say something to someone once, and it broke our friendship. But I see that it was for the better in her life. She was on a path of major destruction, and it's clear now that she's corrected some of the mistakes she was making. It just breaks my heart that our friendship dissolved because of it. Thanks for your post today. It gave me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Erin. Correcting friends is really hard. I have to admit that I'd rather stick my head in the sand (and have), but that isn't always the right choice. Thank you so much for sharing and for visiting. I stopped by your blog the other day too!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! I try to respond to each one.